Tuesday, February 17, 2009

movies and stuff


Mitch and I both got our diplomas in the mail - actually squashed into the mailbox to be precise -- but at least we have them now...my thesis also came in the mail. It's pretty thick and impressive looking - I started reading it and thought to myself - "wow - this is awesome," then I saw a speller...!!!




We went through a movie going phase recently - I always love those.  Then you realize how much money it is to go to see them and that quickly stops! So lets pretend that I'm the critic...we started with doubt - which was excellent. The play has already gained lots of critical acclaim but I think that the movie speaks for itself. Meryl Streep gave an outstanding performance and I will be amazed if she doesn't win for best actress.   
 

Another one of our favorites was Gran Torino - which I loved and embarrassingly bawled at by the end. There was nothing spectacular in it - in fact it could have closely bordered on corny but for the fact that it was so beautiful and well executed. 

We also saw Slumdog Millionaire - for me this was so so - I expected it to be a lot better than it was - I don't know...I was iffy. Another one was Defiance - which was excellent - a show about a sect of Jews who lived in the forest during Nazism and lived...It was great. You can't make up stuff like that. oh, also, we saw Benjamin Button, and again - not as good as I expected - I kept thinking - this is a long movie -- and that's never a good sign.

Also - here is a tip for those of you who like to go to movies -- don't walk in after the movie has already started - go in front of a bunch of people, talk aloud that someone is in your seat, and then let you cell phone ring...loudly and obnoxiously...Secretly people hope you will fall down the stairs and die!!! 

 

4 comments:

Dave said...

So, I have a monster headache and ditched out of BERENICE rehearsal to check my email and yada. While at the computer I clicked on Google Reader and what did I see? A little piece of Shepherd's Pie. Made me smile.

I'm glad I know you friend and I appreciate your movie reviews.

Brittany and Adam said...

We have been watching alot of movies too! Here is what I think of all of those. Gran Torino I liked the story I thought the Hmong kids were such terrible actors it almost ruined it for me. But I really liked the message.
Haven't seen doubt but we are excited. Slumdog Millionaire we loved it I think you probably didn't like it because every one has built it up so much so you were going into it thinking it would be spectacular.
And I absolutely loved Defiance I am so amazed it was a real story. That those people actually had to live like that. It was amazing. You still need to see Happy-go-lucky.
We saw the Reader and revolutionary Road. The Reader was better but neither really struck me as great. Great acting but I didn't love them.

Merrells said...

Congrats to both of you and good job! We haven't been to a movie in so long, it's pathetic. I saw Australia with a bunch of friends a little while back but I think the last movie Jake and I saw together was High School Musical 3...Kenna's choice.

marilyn shumway said...

You should have your own show!! Your reviews are great. Well said, I laughed at the end. Congrats on school, that is quite an accomplishment.